Come together to make something delicious for your next Family Home Evening! Divide the recipes - then bring them together to make something fabulous! Work in teams to make the homemade sauce and homemade dough, then bring it in to put it all together. We had a BLAST working together to make a yummy meal.
See our pepperoni pizza man? Our kids were so proud.
FHE Homemade Pizza Challenge!
Divide the recipes and conquer this delicious dinner! Make it a race, or work at your own pace.
Homemade Pizza Sauce:
1 quart Canned Stewed Tomatoes
1/2 Onion - chopped
1 tsp. Olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove
3 T. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Italian Seasonings
1. Drain the canned tomatoes
2. Saute' the chopped onion in a small sauce pan with 1 tsp. Olive Oil.
3. Blend together the drained tomatoes, saute'd onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar, and salt
4. Pour the blended sauce into the small sauce pan used to saute' the onion. Add the Italian Seasonings and simmer for 10 minutes.
I have never made homemade pizza crust, so I found a fast and easy version of pizza crust HERE and used their recipe.
1 pkt fast rising Yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp.)
1 tsp. White Sugar
1 c. Warm Water
2 1/2 c. Flour (I used unbleached all purpose flour and it was delish)
2 T. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
2. In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let sit until creamy, about 7-10 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour, salt, and oil. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
4. Place the dough onto a floured surface and roll out. We used a rolling pin taking turns making it into a rectangle to fit our cookie sheet.
5. Lightly spray the baking sheet with cooking spray and place the rolled out dough onto it.
(To keep the dough from tearing, I folded the dough in half then transferred it onto the sheet, then simply unfolded.)
Now that your sauce and dough is made, come together and make your pizza! Add your Mozzarella Cheese, Pepperoni, and any other pizza topping you would like.
Bake at 425 (F) for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
LESSON: Talk about working together as a family and team work, along with patience, sharing the work load, and the fun of being a family.
You can talk about each part of the pizza, and how they're all different. Each ingredient has it's own flavor and unique texture, but they all work together perfectly.
Each member of our family is a different ingredient. They all play a different part, some may be soft and a good base like the crust, while others may be tangy like the sauce, spicy like the pepperoni, or cheesy like the mozzarella. We all need each other, our differences, strengths and weaknesses come together and add dimension to our family. Just like the pizza, the crust isn't without the sauce, nor the sauce without the cheese, nor the cheese without the toppings. All together we build a great family.
Need more Family Home Evening Ideas?
Trying to keep the spirit in your home can be tricky some days. The LDS Bookstore can help! I love their products and especially their prices! They have great gifts and products that keep the spirit near.
Check them out! But be prepared, you'll probably get hooked like me!
Linking up here