Image Map

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Ham, Rice & Lentil Soup

This is the other soup that made me feel better when I was sick. This along with my Down Home Chicken Noodle Soup and my Beyond Basic Beef Stew. My husband calls this our poor mans soup because it only has about 5 things in it which are all very inexpensive. But I love the simplicity of all 5 things put together, and how delicious they are. I saw Lentils on a show called "Take Home Chef." It is the only episode I've watched and he went home with a lady who was actually re-doing her kitchen and they had to bring her stove in from the yard so he could even cook with her! It was hilarious! Sorry, I'm babbling. Anyway, they made a Lentil soup. I had seen Lentils in the store, and they were very inexpensive so I thought they were just like beans since they were placed right next to them. Well they are a legume so it could be classified as a "bean" of sorts. Anyway, he showed how to rinse them, cook them, and he explained how they have an amazing rich flavor. I swear I could taste it through the TV as he was talking about it. After that, I decided the next time I was going to the store I was going to get some Lentils and make me some soup! So I did, but the lentils alone with broth wasn't enough for me, I added rice and ham. We have made this many times since and have always enjoyed it. Simple, hearty and delicious!



Ham, Rice & Lentil Soup

1 c. Cooked Rice (I cooked 1/2 c. Jasmine Rice in 3/4 c. water)
1 c. Lentils- Rinsed
8 c. Water
1 stalk Celery - finely minced
1/2 small Onion- finely minced
1 1/2 c. cubed Ham
4 tsp. Beef Bouillon
1/4 tsp. Onion Salt

In a large pot bring your 8 c. water to a boil. In a small pan saute the celery and onion in 1/2 tsp. olive oil until transparent and add to large pot. Add all ingredients, Lentils, ham, beef bouillon, onion salt and cooked rice. Simmer until lentils are soft. Salt to taste.


(My husband loves to put a few dashes of Parmesan Cheese on top)
* We had this with corn muffins- DELISH!


Linking up here


No comments:

Post a Comment